Sunday, October 14, 2007

Alzheimer's UTI Herbs Vs Doctors

The first time Edith acquired an urinary tract infection I felt so bad seeing her suffer with it. The way it was handled by the allopathic (regular) medical doctors was in my opinion was inhumane. Here is what they do where we live. Edith is my mother and she has Alzheimer's disease.

First I'd like to say that mom does pretty good communicating when in a familiar environment like at home. Put her in a strange place like a hospital and it gets difficult for her to focus and follow what is being said or asked of her.

The people in the hospital don't exhibit much patience in dealing with the situation and just want to get things done. They worry more of the time involved than the mental state they are creating in the Alzheimer's patient. They know she has trouble urinating.

It's an inconvenience to them and they need to put a little more effort into communicating. I could see the impatience in their face. They want a urine sample so they resort to a catheter and draining a sample for testing. They have drained her so the urgency and pain are gone.

That's the only plus I saw of the process. The way they handled the situation rubbed me the wrong way. I'm a proactive caregiver and you don't want to rub me the wrong way. I will not hesitate to make my feelings and demands known.

I can be a doctors, a medical assistants or a nurses worst nightmare if that's what I feel is necessary. I don't feel they are half as special as they do. The barbarians. Sorry if I offended any barbarians I didn't mean to insult you.

I don't intentionally look for a confrontation but if reasonable efforts don't work. The warrior awakes in me and I use whatever it takes. There is a warrior in you. Don't be afraid to let that warrior take control when you need it.

They send the sample to the lab to see what is causing the infection. This involves growing a culture and testing with various antibiotics to determine which will be the best choice. They then fax the report to the family doctor who in turn calls us. It's off to the drugstore to pick up the prescription.

The prescription requires taking food with it and is to be taken a certain times of the day. It's the end of the third pill taking day before she starts to improve in the discomfort department. She was able to pass small amounts of urine during the treatment period. I didn't need to take her back to the hospital to get her drained again.

So this whole process took over 4 full days until she started to feel better. That really tormented me but she was lucky in a way. She couldn't remember what happened before or how long it had been.

We have always been a family that used herbs for a lot of ills and had pretty good results. I even remember my grandmother collecting and using herbs. This was something that has always been used by our family. We would use them because we could and because we didn't have a lot of money. We did go to the doctor but I think it was more from being indoctrinated over the years.

When I saw how they did things at the hospital and the attitude they had I decided to do for mom what she would have done for me. I went herbal. Not the run of the mill watered down over filtered poorly made stuff you can get at the store. The same organic wildcrafted kick ass industrial strength stuff my grandmother would have made if she was still around. I wouldn't be surprised if she was there urging me on.

Months later Edith got another infection and it was worse because she couldn't pee at all when I noticed the problem. She was rocking on the toilet and saying no-no-no-no and had her hand between her legs. Well this the moment I was preparing for.

This stuff doesn't taste bad so she will drink it down with ease. I gave her 2 droppers full (around 120 drops) in about an ounce of water. Twenty minutes later another dose and a half hour later another dose. When she laid down it didn't bother her as much so she took a nap.

About two hours had passed and I see her heading for the bathroom so I followed. As soon as she sat on the toilet seat she started to pee and pee and pee. A nice strong constant stream and no pain or discomfort.

I continued to give her 4 doses a day for three days just to make sure the infection was gone. It was gone. About 6 months later another UTI so I did the same thing I did the last time hoping for the same results and it worked the same way.

I have used this two more times since. Once when the urinary tract infection was acute like the previous times and once when I caught it early. This treatment worked every time.

No hospital. No aggravated inconvenienced doctors. No catheters. No snappy nurses. No waiting for tests. No prescriptions. No special feedings so she could take the prescription. No waiting over 4 days before starting to feel improvement.

Best of all my mother didn't need to be thrust into a state of confusion, anxiety and fear because of the way she was treated at the hospital. Oh did I mention no bills coming in the mail from the hospital, the emergency room, the emergency room doctor, the lab test, the family doctor or the prescription. Yea!

I hate it when you go to the hospital because you don't get one bill you get 15 people billing you. That should stop. You should get one itemized bill from the hospital and they should pay the idiots that work there for their tests and services. They should pass a bill or law. Call it - "One Roof One Bill".

We had used herbs for other conditions that our family doctor said herbs couldn't fix. This was years before the UTI problems. Each time my parents said they didn't take what she had prescribed she would try to scare us into following her recommendations and to take her prescriptions. She would make comments like it's probably to late now. It was to late because the condition was gone.

Every time a new medical condition was found she would stare me down and say you can't fix that with herbs and every time herbs worked. Not just worked but worked without side effects and better and faster than anything she could come up with. I'll go into more depth about this another time.

Why she looked at me when she would say you can't fix that with herbs I don't know. I think she wanted me to take sides with her. She may have thought I was telling my parents what to do. If you knew my parents you would know I didn't have that kind of power over them. No one did. They always would decide on their own. If they made it known to me what they wanted I would just assist them to make it so.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please tell me what was the herbal concoction? My dad has Alz. and is now in a rehab unit after getting a UTI and having a catheter. I'd love to help him another way.

jc said...

I think all the info you need for UTI's is already on this blog.

To find the posts containing the requested info you use the Blog Archive in the right sidebar - Green area. You will see months followed by a number - that's the number of posts for the month.

Just click on the month to open a list of post titles for the month you want. Then click on the title of the post you want to read.

There are 2 posts that will help you. There may be a little more info scattered around but these have the answers you will need.

Alzheimer's Urinary Problems Need Help Can't Pee? Dated Friday, November 9, 2007 The source of the herbal formula I used and what the herbs are.

Alzheimer's Warning Urinary Track Infections. Dated Saturday, October 13, 2007 This will help you recognize the early symptoms even if the person has problems speaking in a language you understand. They may not feel the pain or don't know what it is or where it is. But by watching them you can see the signs of a UTI even early before it gets to the point they can't pee at all. Even if it gets to that point this stuff has worked for us every time.

Try to watch them without them knowing it. If a person with Alzheimer's thinks your watching to catch them at something they will alter their behavior.

If the person is comfortable with you in the bathroom while they are peeing act as if your there for something other than watching them. Straighten the towels or act like your cleaning the sink or wash your hands. Act like this is a regular occurrence.

If they look at you like what are you in here when I'm trying to pee. Say something along the lines of - Why does it bother you. You were in here with me the last time I had to pee. Or why are you upset. I gave you a bath earlier and you had all you clothes off and I washed you. You liked that. Do you remember when you gave me a bath.

The trick isn't what you say it's how you say it. They may not understand what you say. What's more important is the tone of your voice, your facial expressions and body language.

If all else fails spy on them.

If they insist on being in the bathroom alone and won't leave the door open take the door out. You can usually take the hinge pins out. They may be loose enought to just pull up and out or you may need to put a screw driver under the head of the pin and tap the handle of the screw diver with a hammer.

If it does come down to removing the door. I recommend unscrewing the hinge from the door frame. If you just remove the hinge pin, half of the hinge is still sticking out from the frame. If they would fall and hit that part of the hinge it could cause a serious injury.

Removing the pin is quick when you need quick but unscrew the hinge from the door frame if the door needs to stay off.

When you're the caretaker you need to see the worst that could possibly happen and take precautions. If you don't the worse will happen.

You need to take charge and be the boss and at the same time make them feel like it's what they want to do. They have very little they can control and they try to hold on to any control they think they have. Even if in reality they don't.

Oh, and by the way you as the caretaker have very little control over what happens so just accept it and learn to go with the flow. You can't depend on anything working out to a schedule. When you are a caretaker dealing with Alzheimer's you need to live in the moment just as they do.